In a statement, a sports department official said that the sports quota recruitment process for the 2015-19 period was in progress and the certificate verification completed.
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Setting a new record, 703 sportspersons were appointed in various government departments under the sports quota in seven years.
After a halt from 2010 to 2014, the state government resumed appointments, adding 65 more from the 2010-2014 list.
Additionally, 31 were appointed in the police department and 27 in KSEB through the sports quota. The ongoing recruitment for the 2015-2019 period has finished certificate verification, and the final rank list is nearly ready, with 249 positions to be filled.
Earlier, footballer C K Vineeth received a special job offer. More sports quota appointments are expected in Kerala Police and KSEB.
The delay in the 2010-2014 sports quota appointments was resolved by the succeeding government, filling all 250 vacant posts listed in February 2019, which initially included 409 candidates.
Under the previous UDF government, only 110 sports persons were appointed in five years. Initially promised, the appointment of 83 athletes who won medals at the 2015 National Games couldn’t materialize.
However, in 2021, the state government created additional posts and appointed 68 medalists from the National Games to LDC positions in the Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs.
Here are some key highlights:
- This represents a notable achievement compared to the previous five-year period where only 110 athletes were hired.
- In 2021, the government created a supernumerary post in the Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs to accommodate athletes who won silver and bronze medals in the team event at the National Games held in Kerala in 2015.
- The previous government had promised to appoint these athletes but was unable to fulfill their promise.
Here are some of the factors contributing to this success:
- Increased focus on sports development: The government has increased its focus on sports development initiatives, including promoting sports at the grassroots level and providing better training facilities.
- Regular recruitment drives: The government has conducted regular recruitment drives under the sports quota, ensuring that qualified athletes have ample opportunities to secure government jobs.
- Transparency in the selection process: The selection process for sports quota jobs has been made more transparent and merit-based, reducing the chances of unfair practices.
This initiative is important because it:
- Rewards athletes for their hard work and dedication: Government jobs provide financial security and stability for athletes, allowing them to focus on their training and continue their sporting careers.
- Motivates young athletes: By seeing successful athletes secure government jobs, young athletes are encouraged to pursue their own sporting aspirations.
- Promotes sports development: By providing government jobs to athletes, the government indirectly invests in sports development, as these athletes can contribute to coaching and mentoring younger generations.
The Kerala government has set a positive example for other states to follow. By prioritizing the well-being of athletes and providing them with opportunities for career growth, the government can contribute significantly to the development of sports in the country.
Make Sure to share this post with your friends below